Many of you are already aware that the American Cancer Society holds a Relay for Life event to raise public awareness and money for research. Our school has decided to help in this cause again this year. Last year, the SDM team raised over $13,000 towards this cause. We have had fellow teachers, staff, students, and family members who have fought the fight against cancer. Because we have all been touched by this disease in one way or another through the years, we want to do our part to aid in the fight. We want to give our students an opportunity to take part in the excitement as well. To visit the Relay for Life website and view our team page, click on the icon below.
We hope that you might volunteer your time and talents to help with some of these activities and that you will allow your child (children) to participate in these money raising efforts.
1. “Power Days” are the days leading up to the event. Each homeroom is in a contest to bring in the most donations for the cause. Homeroom teachers will keep a tally of the money brought in daily and announcements will be made. On Thursday, April 19th, the day before the event, one class from each grade with the most donations will earn an ice cream party.
2. Treat sales will take place each day during recess. We will need a lot of drinks and goodies for this activity. At this time, we need pouch or boxed drinks, cookies, cakes, Little Debbies, chips, etc. Have your child bring items to their homeroom teacher and we will have them available for students to purchase as a snack at recess. We will need parent assistance in selling these snacks to students at recess. Contact Kristen Palmer, the 3rd grade PTO teacher rep. if you would like to help at recess.
3. The theme this year is “Roping for a Cure". We would like to have a real cowboy-western set up at the Relay which is scheduled for April 20th. If you would like to help with the decorations, contact Patti Feimster. Some teams have really elaborate displays, and we’d like to give them a run for their money on decorations this year.
4. We will have dress-down days several Fridays leading up to the Relay for Life. If your child wants to participate, he/she may pay $1.00 for each day.
Spring Break is April 2-6. The CRCT is April 16-18, 23-25.
Friday, Feb. 10: Valentine attire
Friday, Feb. 24: Graphic T-Shirt
Friday, March 2: Sun Glasses
Thursday, March 8: Stuffed animal
Friday, March16: Slippers or Crazy Socks
Friday, March 23: Cowboy/Cowgirl
Friday, March 30: Support your Favorite Team
Friday, April 13: Hat Day
Friday, April 20: Chew Gum (after CRCT test)
5. If you own a company and are interested in becoming a corporate sponsor, look at the back of this sheet for opportunities. Sponsors donations are added to our total as a school.
Items needed beginning Monday, Jan. 23: Volunteers, donations, Little Debbie snacks, small waters, small box and bag drinks, candy bars, individual bags of chips. These items can be taken to homeroom teachers or dropped off in the office. If you would like to help, please call Erica Palmer or Patti Feimster at 537-4755 before 3:30p.m.